What’s the Law: Modification of my Registered Firearm

What’s the Law?

By Darryl Choy

Topic: Modification of My Registered Firearm

Question: I have a registered .223/5.56mm AR-15 rifle. I recently acquired an upper receiver in a different caliber. Must I re-register the rifle in the new caliber with the police department?

Answer: No. There is nothing in Chapter 134 HRS that requires re-registering firearms that have been re-chambered, re-barreled or changed to a different caliber.

Question: If I change the stock on my AR-type rifle from a fixed to a collapsible stock, must the rifle be re-registered?

Answer: No (same as above). Changing stocks, installing replacements, or additional parts do not require re-registration. However, if you changed the serial-numbered receiver, that part must be registered.

© 2010 – 2015, Hawaii Historic Arms Association. All rights reserved. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the Hawaii Historic Arms Association with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.